BTW: Before you began, I didn't use a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan. I didn't own one, so I used a 9-inch pan. I also didn't use their instructions on the pie crust; I used the instructions on the side of the refrigerated piecrust box. You can basically not use steps 2 and 3. If you do own that pan, and want to do those steps, then go ahead!
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, divided $
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 28 caramels
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring halfway through. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes). Increase oven temperature to 425°.
3. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Remove weights and foil, and bake 4 more minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 15 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
4. Microwave chocolate morsels and 1/4 cup cream in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals.
5. Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Add 1 egg, beating at low speed just until blended. Add chocolate mixture, beating just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared crust.
6. Microwave caramels, butter, and remaining 1/4 cup cream in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk together 2 eggs, vanilla, salt, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar; whisk into caramel mixture until blended. Stir in pecans; spoon over chocolate mixture in prepared crust.
7. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until center is almost set, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours).